Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Cheerful Heart...

is like good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones. (Proverbs 17:22).

I think the first time I really took that verse to heart was in 2004 when I had surgery. I remember my friend, Anne, sharing it with me on the morning we went to the hospital. My dear friend has much more experience with hospitals than I do, and while she has had moments of much pain and sometimes discouragement, her countenance has always reflected her cheerful heart. Her wisdom in sharing that verse with me certainly helped me through my surgery and the recovery process. I must be the most squeamish person I know, but that verse kept me strong!

Now, I am preparing to give birth. Yes, we're near the home stretch here. I have some idea of what to expect, but, obviously, I've never done this before! So, the anticipation is great and the excitement has begun to brew...but some of those fears have begun to crop up as well. Will I really be able to do it? (I think I have to be able to do it!) Can I really make it without any intervention? What if I faint? (Remember, I'm squeamish!) Oh...there are many questions. Over the past few days, however, I keep remembering, "A cheerful heart is like good medicine..." So, I'm trying to remain cheerful and think about the outcome. Another verse has become a keeper during this time, as well. I have been memorizing this:


A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world.
John 16:21

I keep telling my husband that I'm going to repeat that verse over and over...and over! I know that whatever happens, God will sustain me with His mighty strength. Until then, I'm going to do all that I can to keep my heart cheerful.

No comments: