Thursday, December 18, 2008

El-roi...Jehovah raffa...Emmanuel

Once the most holy Child of salvation; Gently and lowly lived below; Now as our glorious Mighty Redeemer, see Him victorious o'er each foe.

A friend reminded me a few weeks ago about the very real truth for Christians. When we celebrate the birth of Christ, we must also celebrate His death. Our Mighty Redeemer, who lived among men, came with a plan to fulfill. I still cannot fully comprehend why that plan included me, yet the Child of salvation looked upon all of us with such love and compassion that He obeyed His father and offered redemption to this wandering soul.

I have always enjoyed the hymn "Child in a Manger." I rarely heard it sung at church, but I often played it at home. This morning, after I rocked my sweet Elizabeth to sleep, I sat down and played the hymn on the piano, taking in the words anew. The recording I have here has a few differences, but in the hymn book the words are as follows:

Child in a manger, infant of Mary; Outcast and stranger, Lord of all.
Child who inherits, all our transgressions, all our demerits on Him fall.

Once the most holy Child of salvation; Gently and lowly lived below; Now as our glorious Mighty Redeemer, see Him victorious o'er each foe.

Prophets foretold Him, infant of wonder; Angels behold Him on His throne. Worthy our Savior of all our praises, happy forever are His own.

I've been thinking about Mary a lot this week. As a new mother, I find myself wondering how she felt, knowing that she had been chosen to carry the Savior of the world? She surely felt the same kinds of feelings I felt as I awaited my child's birth, but oh, what her obedience meant! Her child, her precious firstborn, would not truly be her own, but would offer His life--His body as a living sacrifice--for all, including her! Her own child, victorious in His death. Surely she experienced the same joy of the Salvation He offered, yet in a way unknown to the rest of us. I am in awe of her obedience, and grateful for the obedience of her son.

El-roi: the Strong One who sees

Jehovah raffa: He is our Healer

Emmanuel: God with us

Our glorious, Mighty Redeemer is victorious over each foe! No other Christmas hymn touches me like this one! This year God has shown so many sides of His being. El-roi, the one who sees never took His eyes off of me. Angel and I married in 2005. Having married later in life, we immediately began to pray for children. A year passed. Two years passed. Many health problems surfaced and the hope started to fade. Oh, we prayed. Each time the test produced a negative, my anguish grew deeper. Why, Lord? Have you forgotten me? What about Hannah? I have prayed as she prayed, and you gave Samuel to her! He saw my tears. I faltered, but He kept His focus on me.

Jehovah raffa, He is our Healer. Christmas will always remind me of God's healing hand. At this time last year, we were traveling to my parents house in Virginia. During that journey, I tearfully accepted the fact that I probably would never be pregnant. He healed those emotional wounds that ran deep! Glory to God in the Highest--He healed my physical wounds, as well! December 31 brought the amazing news that all along, as I surrended to Him that desire to physically have a child, my little gift was already there! Jehovah raffa...how He healed me!

Emmanuel, God with us. Prophets foretold Him, infant of wonder; Angels behold Him on His throne. This Christmas I celebrate in a new way. So deeply aware of His marvelous birth, and so profoundly touched by His unselfish death. So amazingly indebted to His miraculous life!


2 comments:

Erin said...

Greta,
The way you have made these names for God your very own... touching... precious.
Love you!

aspire2 said...

I had never heard of this song. Breathtaking. Thank you so much!