Friday, February 23, 2007

To Boycott or Not to Boycott? That is the question!

Hello folks.

I remember when I was younger and the SBC (Southern Baptist Convention) called for a boycott on Disney. I don't recall boycotting Disney movies, but then again, I did not even know why they suggested a boycott.

I do know that as I grew, I made a decision in my own life about boycotts. Large, organization-wide boycotts do not attract my attention. Every so often, I get an e-mail or a phone call from a friend telling me to stop buying a certain product, or to stop shopping at a specific store. I have learned that I have to decide for myself and not simply stop doing something because someone else passes on some information to me. Believe it or not, I personally boycotted Oprah Winfey for about 15 years because of a statement she made on her show that I deemed rather insulting to my Christian beliefs. You see, I found it offensive and I prayed about it. I honestly can say that God convicted me about becoming aloof to offenses against His holiness and allowing them to enter my life.

A few years ago, I stopped using a certain product because I learned that the parent company of the product actively supports the homosexual agenda in this country and others. I simply do not want to invest in their company, knowing that the money I spend comes from God and He expects me to manage it well. Yes, I know it's impossible to know where every penny goes when I buy something, but I want to make the effort to avoid supporting causes I don't believe in with my purchases.

That being said, I want you to have an opportunity to make your own decision. I recently did some research about phone companies because I am thinking about changing mine. Upon doing that research, I discovered a group called GLADD-"Gay & Lesbian Definance Against Defamation." They have several corporate supporters, and simply to inform my fellow bloggers, here are a few of those:

Allstate Insurance Company, American Airlines, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Bud Light, Coors Brewing Company, Harrah's Foundation, Hilton Hotels Corporation, Lehman Brothers, Motorola, Starbucks Coffee Company and Time Warner
I already have the Anheuser-Busch, Bud Light and Coors covered, but now I have to do some thinking about the others.
Please pray and seek God's face as you make your purchases! I know the task is a huge one, but each little penny I refuse to give to an agenda I don't support is one penny less.

Thanks for letting me share!

No comments: