Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sitting Here Thinking

I'm just sitting here thinking. Angel went to see one of the youth group guys and I stayed home. Sometimes I enjoy the break and I like to just sit here and think. What do I think about? Everything and anything, of course!

I see in my mind the beautiful memory I have of a camper-turned-camp-staffer having a spiritual breakthrough after many long, tearful and prayer-filled chats in my office. I remember finding her in the Vespers Garden on a quiet Saturday morning, sitting before the cross worshipping Christ with a new relationship in her heart.

I hear my nephew's tiny voice, remembering the time that he wanted to leave his crib although my sister had told me he needed to sleep. He started by crying, "Daaaaaaaaaaaady!" Since his daddy wasn't there, he received no response. He continued by crying, "Moooooooooomy!" But, since she was hanging the laundry outside, she heard nothing. Sitting on the couch, wanting to go in and swipe him up I heard, as a final attempt, "Greettttttttttttttttttta!" My heart flinched and my mouth smiled. I didn't go pick him up and he soon fell asleep. I'll never forget that moment, though!

I feel the loneliness of not seeing family and friends who I have not seen for years. I long to see stars above the Blue Ridge from the vantage point of Shaaron's truck bed. I yearn for the conversations Lonna and I had as we said goodnight after long days of camp directing. I miss Maday's blue car and the amazing insights shared on a trip to and from the Raleigh Wal-Mart. Deep Thoughts...Wilson Phillips...I'm So Stupid!!!! Oh...the days with Donna!!! Stacey's sudden outbursts of energy in the dorm hallway.

It's amazing the thoughts that surface with a few moments of silence. All of them remind me of just how great my God is. Each moment--each memory--touches my heart because of the ones who I find there. Even as I sit here, names and memories come flooding my mind. One person leads to another. One face turns to another and on. I may never see some of these people again in this life, but I hold fast to the promise that one day we'll celebrate together around the throne. Until then, I'll just sit here and think awhile.

No comments: