Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sergio's Socks

Sergio's socks fell out of his suitcase and into our trunk when we picked up the young folks who went to the National Youth Conference in Puebla, Mexico a few weeks ago. Every time I see him, I say, "Sergio, I still have your socks!" Today I washed Sergio's socks. Angel needed to put some stuff in the trunk to do a quick paint job. Sergio's socks apparently took up too much space. Since I had to wash clothes I decided to throw them in with our clothes. Perhaps Sergio's socks were already clean--they didn't smell or anything! Amazingly enough, and I accredit this to God's greatness, Sergio's socks taught me a lesson.

Remember the woman who washed Jesus' feet with perfume? Remember the times when Christian sisters and brothers washed each others feet to show graciousness and love to one another? I have gotten so busy that I have neglected to figuratively wash my the feet of my brothers and sisters. James reminds us in his book that simply saying, "Oh, you have a need? Well, go in peace!" doesn't cut it. Washing Sergio's socks reminded me that the body of Christ is not a building filled with pews and pretty carpet. The body of Christ is a living, breathing body intended to glorify God through the love between one believer and another. Sergio's socks allowed me to reflect on the body life I have missed as I have gotten too busy to attend to the needs of my brothers and sisters.

Have you washed anyone's socks lately?

No comments: