Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Details

No, this will not turn into a philosophical discussion. I haven't the time nor the desire to go in that direction at present. I simply started to think about where the Lord has led me over the course of life and I realize that He has given me such wonderful adventures and incredible experiences that any ounce of complaining just seems rather disrespectful and quite misplaced.

The first time I really paid attention to Jeremiah 1:5 was when a dear friend put it in a college graduation note to me. So many seemingly minute details of life all come together when I stop and map out the journey on which God has taken me. The verse reads like this:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

I'm quite certain my friend did not know that I would become a missionary. (I think I had only a hint at that point in life!) I'm sure that I didn't understand the enormity of the fact that God knew me before I even entered my mother's womb. Wow. I guess I still can't quite grasp that completely--how an eternal, all-powerful God would choose me that way. Thank you, Jesus!

When I start looking back, though, it gets a little clearer and it becomes a bit more tangible. Consider this...

October 1970: Born into an Air Force family. By the time I was 8 years old, I had lived in 6 different houses in 5 different states. Putting down roots was not something I had instilled in me. What an excellent preparation for living a missionary life!

Somewhere in the 70's: My big sisters started taking Spanish and I fell in love with the language! Sure, all I could say was "Ay de mi! Mi pierna esta rota!" (Oh my! My leg is broken!) Later I would understand that one would say "quebrada" instead of "rota," but I was hooked! By the time I started taking Spanish in 9th grade I had a passion for the language and Latin American culture.

November 1980: I began a love relationship with Christ.

Somewhere in the 80's and through most of them: I consistently struck out with the guys. No boyfriend in there for me. No, I was always the "smart girl" the "you're-a-sweet-girl-and-very-nice-I-hope-we-have-some-classes-together-next-year girl." I didn't go to the Senior Prom. I don't think I walked away scarred, but I did not learn (yet) to let my Lord fill that void. I just left it empty.

August 1989: I became an (official) Hokie! The Orange and Maroon blood started pumping in 1980, but that's another story. Anyway, I kept up with Spanish although I was an English major. I also began to enjoy Sociology and started working towards a minor.

The early 90's: Christ, who I had asked to sit in the back seat, finally said, "Move over girl, I'm driving. You're just not staying in the right lane here!" Thankfully, I joyfully handed over the wheel. My life renewed, my soul refreshed I started to travel with Him again. (The void finally filled...I no longer focused my attention on wanting a boyfriend.)

I also went to Mexico for the first time. Then the second time. (I was on my way to Moldova...I was signed up and ready to go but God just kept saying, "No, go here instead." I had to obey.)

I also graduated without a solid plan and no real prospects. It didn't make sense to me then, but it does now!

Grad school--and then on to post-Tech life.

Mid 90's to 1999: Summer camp--8 weeks each summer for 5 years. Seven of those weeks I had the wonderful opportunity to meet 2 new pairs of missionaries each week. I asked questions, I soaked in answers, and I started to say, "Yes, Lord, I'll go."

1999: I took the Spanish I had learned--which was always specifically more Mexican than Latin American or Spain Spanish--and headed off to Mexico.

There are many details in there that I have left out, but how amazing is it that God knew before I was formed in the womb that the moving around as a child would prepare me for moving all around as an adult? I have officially changed addresses 17 times since 1989. Sometimes it was in the same town or city, but I have definitely not put down roots!

Learning Spanish and loving it? I actually love this story. I mentioned how I grew to love it at an early age, but this is so cool. A few years ago I was rummaging through some old boxes at my parents' house and I found a project I had done in elementary school at church. I was in a GA (Girls in Action) missionary study group, and of all the papers I chose to store away, I found a storyboard biography of one of the missionary couples I would later meet as an adult while I worked at camp. They served in Latin America. AND, I found a song we had translated from English to Spanish--one of the first songs I learned on my first trip to Mexico. God's details amaze me.

I met Angel. This post isn't about how we met, but let me tell you that the finely orchestrated plan of God brought us together on a prayer walk in Ojo de Agua, Mexico.

Now we're here and I know He's still planning. I know that there are more details we've overlooked that will surface when He starts moving us on. When we're ready for what will be my address number 18, all of those nitty-gritty bits and pieces will make sense and we'll glorify Him.

How has He worked in your life? Have you stopped to look at all the little details? If not, take some time and look back--you might be amazed!





1 comment:

Erin said...

Greta,
I read this post a long time ago and intended to come back and comment. Oops.

I went to Virginia Tech following the guy I thought I was going to marry someday. That didn't happen. In a big, bad way.

Given the complete washout of all my carefully laid plans, I changed my major to art, mainly because I didn't know what else to do with my feeble, crushed self. I thought I was doomed to be unemployed and unmarried for life but I stayed at VT anyway because I had grown to love Blacksburg. (I had about zero friends there though.)

15 years later, I have indeed found my mate, which would not have happened had I left VT and ran home. And I discovered that my art degree has been the perfect clay in the Master Potter's hands. I had no clue back in college that God would desire to use my love of art and my ability to create. He has used it in ways that blow my mind.
Which shows me that nothing is lost in God's economy. I know that sounds trite, but we really never can know how God is going to build upon the foundation of what appears to us to be failure and loss.

Recalling that phase of my life gives me a lot of hope to cling to for the future. I know there are going to be many more occasions when I'm feeling feeble, crushed and hopeless.