Wednesday, August 09, 2006

An English Major's Dream...

Erin tagged me and how could an English major not answer questions about books?!? Here's my 10...


1. One book that changed your life: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave: Written by Himself I read it in college in one of my many wonderful Literature classes. The fact that someone so degraded by society found strength and dignity in life encouraged me greatly.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot. I read during my senior year at Virginia Tech the first time and then several times over the years.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: Let the Nations Be Glad by John Piper. Just to remind me of who I am and why God created me in the first place.

4. One book that made you laugh: Raney by Clyde Edgerton. My favorite Southern-fiction writer, who lives over yonder in North Carolina, this book has me in stitches every time I read it. I grew up an hour from the N.C. border and so much of Edgerton's writing reminds me of home!

5. One book that made you cry: Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. If you have never read it, I guarantee you that you will cry. I have read it at least a zillion times, and I always find myself weeping!

6. One book that you wish had been written: Learning to Cope with Disappearing Dogs. Growing up, our two dogs disappeared frequently for a few days and then returned. One day, however, they left and never came back. I dreamed each night for years that they returned but every morning when I ran to the door, they weren't there. I think that is really my only childhood trauma!!!

7. One book that you wish had never been written: My Antonia by Willa Cather. I won't post the link because I hated it. Of course, I was in the 10th grade at the time. Maybe I should give it another try. I'm feeling rather mean at the moment for saying I hated it.

8. One book you’re currently reading: Created to be His Help Meet by Debbie Pearl. I'm reading it for the second time and desiring to become the help meet for my husband that God created me to be.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: The Feminist Gospel by Mary A. Kassian. She's a great author who challenges the ideals of feminism in light of what the Scriptures say about Biblical manhood and womanhood. If I did the link correctly, you can go straight to the pdf version of the book.


10. Now tag five people: Hmm...I don't have so many blogger friends to tag and Erin tagged me...so, Brandy...it's all you girl! :) And as Erin said...if you happen to have a blog and you're reading this, take a stab at answering on your own blog--just leave us a comment so we'll know where you are!

4 comments:

Brandy said...

Done!

Erin said...

Great Greta,
Your book selections were awesome. And I've only ever read Passion and Purity.
Thanks for giving me some more titles to my reading list.

Thought I could get an English major to weigh in on a game of book tag. If you ever get tagged in an art game, be sure to send it to me. ;)

Heather said...

Love the Piper book. Have read that several times.

Brent Dix said...

Greta,

Thanks for the visit at my blog....by the timeliness of the this response you can see I don't get to it very often. Just discovered Piper myself and plan to read all his stuff in the coming months. Just finishing “Don’t Waste Your Life” and I probably will read it again in the coming weeks.

Great to hear from you and will keep up with your blog. Have a great day!